I have an announcement to make.
It’s been a long time coming, but I’ve decided it’s about time I got on with writing about things and finally come clean with the “big announcement” I promised… last year.
It appears that Sam and I have taken on a second allotment.
I know! I was surprised too; but that’s exactly what happened.
There I was, minding my own business, when a relative told me about a place where I could get free, well-rotted horse manure. At the time it just so happened that I needed some manure for my potatoes (yes, this news has been that long coming) so off I popped to the stables.
“Hello,” said I, to the first person I saw – and who happened to be the stables owner “I believe you’ve got a load of manure.”
“How many tons* do you want?” she asked.
Unsure if she was kidding I replied “About an allotment’s worth.”
Then it all started moving a bit quickly.
“Would you like an allotment?” she said.
Skipping over some of the less significant conversation that followed, mainly dealing with the muck heap of gargantuan proportions, the conversation turned to the piece of land they were turning over to use as allotments. All grass, lots of weeds and never been dug (or at least, not any time recently)… but allotments none the less.
I think this was about the point where I said I’d take one.
No payment needed for a while so I talked it over with Sam – who asked some rather pointed questions about whether I thought we could handle the extra work, if I was rushing into it too soon after taking on our first plot and so on. I convinced her (or rather, convinced myself) that all was well and that it was a good idea and so, when the time came a few months later, we paid our money and the plot was ours.
I think now it’s probably safe to admit that I thought it was a bit more work than I could handle… sorry Sam. Honestly I don’t think I had her fooled for a moment – but she’s quite tolerant of the numerous schemes I come up with (and usually underestimate) so I don’t think I really needed to convince her. That didn’t stop me trying though.
Still, last years growing and harvesting came and went… winter set in along with the lack of motivation I had (and wrote about)… and then came spring. The ground softened somewhat and we got to work.
Progress is slow – the soil is very hard – but we are getting there.
It’s a lovely site too.
There are weeds, but I’ll let the photo of the site as it was in August of last year tell you all you need to know about that:
Brand new and never been dug (as far as I can tell). Covered in grass and wild flowers/plants ("weeds" now it's an allotment) and lots of them. Then there's the tree saplings, blackberries (which will not be staying put... though I may move them if I feel like using up some space) and assorted roots which put up a real fight when you try to get them out.
Over the next couple of days I’ll write a little about the progress made on there so far… and the promised news of a “new adventure” will be included in that.
* tons for you non-metric types… but then, she could have been using imperial, in which case I should have said “tons” earlier… unless you’re reading this as a speaker of American English, in which case it’s ton or ton either way.
Clear as mud!